……………………something we all need, to different degrees. Soothing and restoring us after a long day.
How much sleep do you get?
And do you wake up feeling refreshed and ready to spring out of bed to get on with your day?
Here are a few tips on getting a good night’s sleep………………………….
- Remove distractions (TV’s , play stations, ipads, ) Treat your bedroom as a place to sleep.
- Exercise regularly, but not too close to bedtime.
- Go to bed and get up at a regular time each day, this sets a pattern for your body to follow.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, cola’s and non-herbal teas. (Stimulants)
- Take a Power Nap in the afternoon, but no more than 20 minutes. Anything longer than that and you’ll feel very groggy when you wake up.
- Take a bath, have a gentle drink or take a walk before bedtime
Relax your mind……..
Try simple breathing exercises. Breathe using your abdomen not your chest, through your nose for 3 seconds and then breathe out for three seconds, practise this for 10 minutes (or a few minutes is better than none).
Waking up in the night…………………..
- Listen to music, a guided meditation or the radio. If you have a partner you don’t want to disturb then use your headset (maybe one ear if you lie on your side)
- Read for a short while, til you feel sleepy again
- Get up and make a drink
“Early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.” – Benjamin Franklin